The Land of the Super Boring

Thursday, June 18, 2009

blech!

I have been infected.
No, not by zombies, but it is something that eats at the brain.
I'm not going to keep eliminating all y'all's guesses, I'm just going to say:
In the midst of prayer the other day I suddenly discovered in my life the presence of the virus of tolerance.
I have to take it down, have to eradicate it before it spreads. It disgusts me beyond belief. Guilty, reinforcing everything I already know about being totally depraved. Thank God it's communion this weekend, so I can repent in unleavened bread and wine (the NT version of sackcloth and ashes.) Not that I necessarily look forward to the mourning the Lord part, but the fellowship with Him and that special time is worth it all.

At this point, I want to swear off tolerance, but I don't think I can guarantee that. Not yet anyway. But I'm praying never to be lukewarm about sin, in my life, in anyone's. I Peter 1:15- 16 says "But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy." The God who called me will not even look upon sin. (Habakkuk 1-2) I want my eyes to be as holy as my Father's eyes, as He commanded- I don't want our culture to numb me to sin. I don't want to hear of someone committing fornication or lying or abusing the temple of the Lord and shrug it off, even if they are outside the church. Mercy, charity, and truth only from here on out. And I certainly don't want to quench the Spirit. I'm done with that. I hope.

Intolerance is a virtue, kids. Believe it.

4 Comments:

At 9:04 PM, Blogger ocrismonxclovero said...

I think it's very important to distinguish your personal definition of tolerance.

tolerate |ˈtäləˌrāt|
verb [ trans. ]
allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference : a regime unwilling to tolerate dissent.
• accept or endure (someone or something unpleasant or disliked) with forbearance : how was it that she could tolerate such noise?

I know that a lot of people (including myself) will have different ideas of tolerance and this may hinder your message. For example, at school, we are taught to tolerate people. Specifically, a focus recently has been placed on tolerating practices of other cultures and tolerating different races and genders.

I understand and agree that we (as Christians) should not tolerate sin. We shouldn't even tolerate it a little bit because of course that will be a slippery slope as it always has been.

HOWEVER, and this is a big however, I think it is imperative (as Christians) we tolerate sinners. We must endure and accept PEOPLE but not sins. How would we ever practice forgiveness if we weren't tolerant of our fellow sinners?

Even above, I gave the example of tolerance of other cultures. I feel this is an important one. I think, as long as a culture's particular practice isn't sinful, we should be able to endure and accept without interfering. Our way is not the only way and certainly with our sinful nature, our way isn't the completely correct way.

I believe you are on to something with this article, but unless the above is clearly stated, (if you agree with it) I feel you will a lot of misinterpretation and misunderstanding in your audience.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Ma'am Gallahad said...

i felt it to be enough of a distinction to say that we must not tolerate sin. and, i would say, we are not to tolerate sinners either, we are to love them. this is both more and less than tolerance. more, in that we should not be simply "putting up with" or "allowing" sinners to exist, but rather actively loving them. and less, in that we are not to tolerate them as sinners but as human beings. we are to be merciful and loving, because they are God's creation and in some or i would say many cases His people, but we are not to tolerate them as sinners because to do so is to leave them in a state of sin, which is wrong before God and damaging to them. if we truly love them we will forgive them, never lessen in friendship because of their being sinners (as we are), but never lessen in the message that they should not continue in sin, and neither should we. perhaps this affords some clarity- knowing that those who read my blog are those that know me, as i said, i thought to say that i was referring to tolerance of sin was enough.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger ocrismonxclovero said...

Love your response. Makes me feel better (haha). I agree 100 percent. (with both the intolerance and the love parts). :-D

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Ma'am Gallahad said...

sweet, that makes me feel better too. better, that is, comfortable enough to tell you that it really is true that i am writing an essay about intolerance as a virtue- covering, essentially, the practical implications of the message in my response. perhaps i shall post it when im done :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home